Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 13

FREE STUFF FRIDAY!!!!

I have really been looking forward to this all week. But more about that later. Today's post is super girly (sorry boys). I want to talk about makeup.

I know, ahh so forbidden. We don't want other people to know that we don't just wake up and look this fabulous. But let's be real, no one does.

Today, I decided to look nice for work, and lots of people complimented me and it was great. There is a very sweet lady named Miss Jean, who is 76 years old who works with me at J.Crew. She approached me today and told me how different I looked, and that she couldn't place why. "Oh, I know" she said, "you're not wearing any makeup, would you like some, I've got plenty in my locker". I politely declined and went about my way, puzzled. You see, I was already quite made up. I checked myself out in the mirror and thought I looked just fine. So then I wondered if I should feel complimented because she couldn't even notice? (she did also say that I looked beautiful). Or should I feel a bit put out because she felt the need to point it out. Or should I remind myself that this woman is considerably older than my grandmother and might be just a little senile.

Anyway, it got me thinking. How much is too much? Do I want people to notice? For the majority of my makeup wearing life, people have felt a need to...comment on it. "Oh Nicole, don't you think that your eyeliner is a bit much", "You know, Nicole, if you wore less makeup your true beauty could shine through". Awesome.
Well, here are the facts. I have terrible skin, I really do, I have spent sooo much time and money trying to create a flawless look. I almost always suck at it. And therefore it makes me really self conscious, like...24/7. But how much energy do I really need to devote to makeup?!

What about you? Are you one of those people who don't ever wear makeup and feel great about yourself (if so, I am super jealous). Are you a Glamazon think that Lady Gaga is a makeup guru? Or, boys, if you would like to talk...what do you feel about makeup? Have you literally never given it any thought, or is there one thing in particular you love? Talk to meeeee, it is friday and I am lame and lonely. True story.

Onto the free stuff. Once again, I really don't know what you'll be getting. In fact, I don't even know what to ask of you.
Um. Um. Um.

Okay, so pick anything that I have talked about thus far and just really let me have it. If you think I am fabulous, then by all means, please tell. If you think I was way, way wrong on something, let it loose. If you're just diggin the blog in general and wanna let me know, that's cool too. My favorite response gets something cool.

Again, you can comment, write me a Facebook message or email me at Nicoleee@udel.edu

xoxo,
N

P.S. I started watching the show Pretty Little Liars. This is going to be wonderfully disasterous.

P.S.S. I legit just made a pizza, I can't wait to go eat it.

4 comments:

  1. Speaking as a guy, I'm kind of a fan of makeup, particularly eye makeup. If you look like a drag queen, no. But a touch of shadow, some liner, maybe a little mascara, oh yes.
    That's just in general, however. For some, even a little is too much. I guess it's just like a part of anyone's look, it has to be experimented with. There have been several times when women have surprised me with how expressive they've been with their makeup, how personal they can make it. Or maybe they just have a better sense of style than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You think that just because this post is about make-up that I ain't got stuff to say? You're about to get DEALT with.

    My general rule of thumb is that, if I can tell that someone's wearing more than just a little bit of make-up, it's probably a little much. But that has to be taken with a grain of salt because I'm not exactly what you'd call "very observant" and I don't really know what I'm talking about most of the time when it comes to this stuff. ...Which is probably the exact same thing as saying that I don't really have a lot to say on this, but whatever. It also largely depends on the individual. Some girls look better with make-up than others, some girls "need" the make-up, some don't need it at all. And then there's guys who wear make-up but that's a whole other conversation probably.


    Oh and I also made a pizza tonight. Well, it was a frozen pizza, but I piled a bunch of stuff on it like red peppers, basil, and avocado. It was almost like I made the pizza and it tasted prrrretty baller.

    Personally, I'm digging the blog. Commenting on individual posts allows me to express opinions on topics I almost never think about, but still have opinions on, even though up until that point I wasn't fully aware that I had those opinions. I'm pretty sure that sentence makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just never bothered with makeup -- partly because I just don't want to spend my whole life in the bathroom and partly because I equate the number of grooming products in my bathroom with the number of people who had to suffer in the process of their production. I'm not judging or condemning anyone who does wear makeup, it's just never been right for me personally. If you feel led to ditch makeup, I support you every step of the way, but that's not a condition of my support :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too, love makeup, I don't know if you recall but I used to be a big fan of bright colored shadow and black liner... Since graduation high school I've toned it down a lot. I wear concealer, foundation and mascara every day. the first two because I, too, have bad skin and I feel better about myself if I know it's at least sorta covered. I've been using organic physicians formula recently and it seemed to make the problem worse, so I just switched to a mineral powder from neutragena, so far it's fab. Sometimes I do a light pink/brow for eyeshadow (or lavender when i'm feeling really crazy). Once, when I was in high school, one of my teachers pulled me aside and asked me if I was feeling ok, that I looked really tired, and that I just looked "off" that day. When she got closer and when I told her I was feeling absolutely fine she said something to the effect of- oh-you're-not-wearing-makeup-your-eyes-look-sunken-in/you-look-terrible. THAT is why I wear mascara every day.

    ReplyDelete